Halloween

Friday, April 29, 2005

Tonsillectomy vs. C-Section

As some of you know, I just had my tonsils out. Lincoln was born via c-section six months earlier. People told me that getting your tonsils out was worse than having a baby so I have decided to compare the two.

Operation-You spend three hours in the hospital for tonsils and three days in the hospital for a c-section.

Recovery-When I woke up from getting my tonsils out, I had a young child on either side of me (it made me sad.) When I came out of the operation room after the c-section, they put Lincoln in the NICU (this made me sad).

First Time Out of Hospital Bed-Less than two hours after I had my tonsils out, I had walked to the car. It did not hurt to walk but I had developed charley horse from having my legs strapped to the table. Twelve hours after having a c-section at 4 a.m. in the morning, I had a nurse bribing me to get out of bed. She told me that she would take me to NICU if I would just get up and take one step to the wheelchair. For anyone who has had a c-section, you know how much energy and will power this takes.

Phone Calls-It took me 12 days before I could talk on the phone after getting my tonsils out. It took me two hours before I called my mom after having a c-section (couldn't use our cell phone in the recovery room.)

Driving-I could drive within 24 hours of getting my tonsils out. I couldn't drive for 2 weeks after having a c-section.

Weight Loss-I lost ten pounds after having my tonsils out due to starvation. I lost ten pounds after having a c-section because they took Lincoln out of me and he weighed almost nine pounds.

Energy-It was impossible to get energy after having my tonsils out due to lack of nutrition. After having a c-section it was hard to get energy because Lincoln kept waking up every three hours.

Sneezing-Both operations are bad for sneezing. Tears come to your eyes.

Overall recovery-It took two weeks for me to get back with life. After having Lincoln it took me almost two months.

0 comments: